Thursday, December 29, 2011

tutorial - twisted fauxhawk for long hair


I've gotten several questions about this hairstyle I wore in this post. Here's a little tutorial - it's best for long hair, but could be accomplished with medium-length hair - just add more pins! Of course, if you have short hair, go wild with the gel.


1) Start with day-old hair - this will help hold the style in place. If you have straight hair, you may want to tease it to add more volume.
2) Gather hair in a high pony - make sure it is tight!


3) Keeping the tightness, twist the pony tail all the way to the end.
4) Pull the twisted hair forward


5) If your twisted hair comes down over your face (like mine in step 4), you will need to loop it backwards and tuck the ends into the crease created by the twist.
6) This is the hardest part for me - fold your twisted hair underneath itself into the crease.


7) Begin to pin the twist in place (make sure it's tight or you'll lose the any illusion of a 'hawk).
8) Pin any loose parts at the back up into the twist.


When your 'do feels secure, you're done!



Add some black liner for an edgier look.

So there you have it...could be a faux faux hawk...could just be a pompadour...could just be whatever you want, that's the beauty of it! I'm definitely going to experiment with this hairstyle...I'm thinking I want to try two twists...semi victory roll-esque. Let me know if you try this...I'd love to see!

19 comments:

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

Very cool hair tutorial...
Daphne.
http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

Njushkalo said...

Great :D But my hair is short :(((

Döid said...

Wow, looks great! I have to try it! Does that work with ultra-long hair...? Ah, doesn't matter, I'll try it... ^^

zrno radosti said...

you explaned it great! could try this!

seed-of-joy.blogspot.com

Emmy said...

Awesome tutorial!

Under the Fluorescents said...

i must try this out! my hair isn't long for nothing

http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

Hannah said...

That is awesome! I'm totally going to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial, Indy. :)

Sam said...

Yay! Thank you so so much for posting this DIY. I have really been looking forward to it. From your pictures it looks simple enough to recreate, I'm going to do my best and try it out. Thanks again Indy, you're a star!

Emma said...

This is awesome! I like knowing ways to wear my hair to make it look like it could be shorter! I also like how this was inspired by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I went to see it this week and loved it!

Emma x

Teddi said...

total rock star!

Kirsten said...

Wow, that's so clever! Looks great. Wish I had hair long enough to try this!

Niki said...

this is freaking awesome! i wish i didn't have taylor hanson hair and could actually try it.

ps. thanks for your last comment :)

x Niki from A Haute Mess

Silvertigo said...

Nice tutorial, I must give this a go sometimes :) xoxo

Happy New Year!

Virginie's Cinema said...

Such a cool idea! It's on my 2012 goals list to try new hair styles, this one might be my first, I wonder how it will look with bangs...

Sam said...

Hi Indy, Wishing you a fantastic New Years, may 2012 bring you lots of luck, love, success and happiness. Thanks for being such a kind and wonderful blog friend during 2011. May you continue to entertain us with your fabulous blog next year!
Luv, Sam

Sydney said...

gorgeous! thank for sharing! maybe you can make a tutorial on how to keep the hair tight?? i can never do it right... :(

http://sydsense.blogspot.com

Une parisienne... said...

Amazing hairstyle, I want to try but I'm afraid my hair is too long... Thank you for showing that !
Trip in my dressing

Gemma said...

i'm kind of entranced by this, its so incredibly cool!
love this idea!

♥Run With Fashion♥ said...

Love the hair-do on you, you look really great with a up do! :D
Love the eye make up too. :)

-Eliza

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...