Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY pussy willow crown


When I in elementary school, one day a teacher brought in the branch of a Pussy Willow tree for show and tell. I was in awe of it and I could hardly stop petting the soft plush catkins (that's what the buds are called). I was so enamored that my teacher broke one of the buds off and let me keep it. Ever since then, my favorite tree has been the Pussy Willow. I was so excited to actually see the trees for sale a few weeks ago and, of course, I had to get one. It has been so amazing to watch the buds emerge from their shells and flower - I am in awe of this little part of nature. Researching my new tree I was intrigued to learn that Pussy Willow is also know as the 'Tree of Enchantment.' Interestingly, if one would like a wish fulfilled, she should let the tree know of her wish, and tie a loose knot in one of the branches. Once the wish has come true, she should return and untie the knot, making sure to express her gratitude.

Here is a simple DIY that took me less than a half hour to create. I wanted to use real branches for my crown, but since my tree is still so young, I decided to use faux ones. It is really inexpensive, though, even with the floral branches - the supplies pictured here cost less than $10 all together and I've gotten lots of other use out of the floral wire and wire cutters.


You will need: real or faux pussy willow branches (or flowers of your choice), branch-like floral wire (top), thin floral wire, and wire cutters. I found all of these in the floral section of my local craft store. You could probably find most of it at a department store, too, in the craft or gardening section.


1. Snip the stems off the thick middle branch. Measure the length around your head and, adding several extra inches, snip the thick floral wire.


2. Using small pieces of the floral wire (I'm using green to make it easier to see for this post - brown wire would blend better), attach the ends of the thick wire - this will be the base for your crown. Wrap the wire tightly and make sure to tuck in the edges of the wire - you don't want your head to get scratched when you wear it!


3. To make sure that your crown doesn't come apart, affix the ends together in three places - once on each side and then once in the middle.


4. Begin attaching your pussy willow stems. Use the same method you used in step 2.


5. Keep using the wire to attach your stems every couple of inches or so. (See how the brown wire would look better?) Also, next time I would use smaller pieces of wire to attach my stems - see how in the picture the wire is wrapped around five or six times? That probably isn't necessary - two or three would work just as well and it would be less obvious.


6. Once you finish with one stem, keep adding them until you are satisfied with the result. Overlapping makes for a fuller crown.


7. When you are done adding stems, go over your crown and tuck in any stray wires and fix any loose pieces. You could stop here and have an absolutely gorgeous crown, however, since I used the green wire to affix my stems, I decided to embellish mine with some green stems and leaves.



There you go - totally room for any embellishments or any other details that may tickle your fancy!

p.s. my last DIY got a teeny feature on the American Apparel website - check it out!

20 comments:

jessica sandoval said...

Oh my goodness! This is so beautiful! I've been meaning to make myself a little "crown/headband" like these, and I know exactly what to add to it! This is BEAUTIFUL!

Sara S ♥ said...

Beautiful! I love it!
~Sara
sarastrauss.blogspot.com

Teddi said...

indy, that's a pretty crown you made. i remember when my teacher brought in pussy willows when i was little too. i didn't know it was a tree. i probably wasn't paying attention. maybe you could show us your tree after it grows a bit?

Imogen said...

Love this so much, it is a really great idea. Looks fabulous. I like the new layout of your blog too.

Mary Lou said...

what a gorgous diy project and i love the result, it looks even better than the usual flower crown i´ve seen on others, i will try this too!
happy valentine´s day
love and kiss,mary
http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com/

Daisy said...

I should try to make this sometime. Thanks for sharing. :)

Nefertiti said...

tres jolie et realisation et se que tu es jolie avec ;o)

A Thrifty Mrs said...

So pretty and beautiful. I'm loving.
Great tutorial too.

Ciara Baron said...

Oh, this is beautiful!
Have to give this a go.

PS. I'm your 400th follower, congrats! :)

www.atrickleofmeaning.blogspot.com
Ciara xx

Zane said...

gorgeous idea

Emma said...

This makes me long for Summer so much, I want to wear this on a picnic in a meadow. Now would be preferable but I guess I'll have to wait a few months!

You are very gifted!

Emma x

Emmy said...

Indy, this is so creative! Well done:)

Bonnie said...

Ahhhh, this is beautiful! I am way too untalented to DIY this, but it looks gorgeous on you. I love it.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

seacreatures said...

love this! the crown so pretty!! and that first photo of you is stunning! that is so cool that you were featured by american apparel!!

congrats of 400 followers by the way!!! :D

The Flightless Darling said...

This is such a great DIY :)

cheers

two birds said...

it's gorgeous! i love the story behind the tree...i had never heard that! they are one of my favorites, too...i was always mesmerized by them as a child!

LINDA said...

Very pretty ! <3

xoxo

Linda from www.moonon.com

sacramento said...

So pretty. You look lovely in it.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Marisa Noelle said...

So gorgeous! Pussy willows remind me of my grandmother's house. They are amongst my favorites as well. Your crown is beautiful...I make floral crowns all the time, but I never even thought to make a pussy willow one. This is definitely on my list of things to do:) xx Marisa

Teny + Maddy's Handmade Jewelries said...

Love your DIY pussy willow crown, very pretty! ♥
omgod, I looove how there's a meaning to the Pussy Willow tree! How cute!
And congrats on your last diy appearing on AA's site! That is soo cool! :D

Thanks again for your comment on my fashion illustration cards! :D

-Eliza

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...