Monday, February 27, 2012

skin - a love story

I haven't always loved my skin. Really, I never even really thought about it unless it was extreme - dry, oily, sunburned, ect. I bought whatever body wash and lotion was cheapest and smelled good. I showered every day and that was the extent of my 'skin care routine.'

It wasn't until I started eating healthier that I realized that my current skin care products were lacking. I flipped over the bottles of product I used and examined their ingredients. And that was the turning point. The ingredient list included words that were inches long and I didn't even want to begin to try and pronounce them. Why, I thought, would I be so careful about the things I put into my body and then turn around and slather these unnecessary and potentially harmful substances all over it?

Once I discovered that my skin care products were extremely lacking in pure and nourishing ingredients, I started researching natural skin care. The things I found amazed me. I could make my own skin care products with ingredients that nourished and pampered my skin instead of stripping it of its natural barriers. I could spend less than I ever spent on commercial lotions, washes, scrubs and make downright luxurious concoctions.

I have learned quickly that if I am kind to my skin...my skin will in turn be kind to me. By switching up my skin care routine for an all natural DIY route, I am no longer plagued by dry, irritated skin or breakouts. The skin on my face is no longer oily. My skin feels and looks at least ten times better and that, in turn, has made me more confident in every aspect of my life.

(I should also mention that around the time I was going through this revelation in the skin department, I was also changing my diet. I finally made the switch to an all vegetarian diet. A few months later, I was completely vegan. My skin had all ready looked better because I was making my own skin products, but eliminating meat and animal byproducts from my meals was the cherry on the (dairy-free) cake. Not only do I look healthier, I feel better than I have in years. Obviously, diet is something that is extremely personal and I am in no way trying to convert anyone to veganism or condemning them if they eat meat. I merely believe that in my case, this switch was a major contributor to my improved health. I have spent lots of time - I even took a nutrition class - researching how food affects the body and the way it looks - believe me, you really are what you eat.)

Skin is something one "wears" every day. That is why I have decided to include this post on my blog that has, up til now, been primarily a daily style blog. I have also gotten many emails and comments asking about my skin and hair care routines so I've finally decided to address them. This post will be the start of a series of skin care posts. I'll be posting recipes for making your own skin care products, tips for naturally healthy skin, and may even start a hair series. We'll see. Please feel free to leave me questions or suggestions for future skin care posts in the comments section - I'm really excited to see your reaction!




13 comments:

Wren said...

I would love to read any tips and tricks you have for better skin and lifestyle. Especially anything involving food. I'm looking forward to this.

Wren

Hannah said...

I think that is fantastic that you cleared your skin in a very healthy way. Bravo! I am intrigued about your homemade products and would be very interested to know what you're doing.

As far as future post? Anything that has to do with curly hair! haha
You always have something different going on, so I think that's an area that you'd be great in. :)

Teddi said...

i like to hear what works for other people. indy, this will be a nice segment. :)

Thrifted Shift said...

Good for you! That is so great. I'm definitely interested in natural hair and face treatments. Last year, I washed my hair in only baking soda water and conditioned with apple cider vinegar for a month! I switched to an organic paraben-free shampoo and conditioner after that. I just couldn't take the vinegar smell after a while. And I missed the bubbles! I'm not willing to go vegetarian yet, but I'm definitely interested in what you have to say about skin and food!
--TS
http://thriftedshift.blogspot.com/

Anna G said...

So exciting to read more about skin care tips. I have dry sensitive skin some days. It's hard to just buy anything because I could easily breakout in hives.

The Jones said...

I definitely feel like my skin and health are both better when I eat a diet of fresh foods, rather than too many starches or dairy products. Its been interesting to me to discover how my body reacts when it doesn't have the nutrition it needs...for instance, I usually get HUGE cravings for salty/meaty foods during my period week...turns out that my body responds with unusual severity to my period, and actually loses a lot iron and salt. I think if you follow the signal and signs that your body sends you, you can tell what will give you the best health and vitality!

<3 cambria
jupefashion.blogspot.com

triggermyfashion said...

eagerly waiting for your upcoming post..

Dottie Keen said...

On my own point of view, I think that its true that if you love your skin it would love you back. I know that everyone tried their best to make their skin beautiful but they should also consider the type of skin care product they use on their skin. I think that it is vital to make sure that our skin is used with good quality of skincare products to make their truly beautiful.

two birds said...

i love this post. being a vegetarian really helps! i also love washing my face with grape seed or olive oil, and i moisturize under my eyes with vitamin e oil.

tumbleweed•twine said...

Really excited for this, I want to read your tips! ♥

Sarah ^.^

Anonymous said...

I have began making changes also and what I put on my body is just as important.Thanks for sharing...Robin

seacreatures said...

i would love to know what you use on your skin! you have such beautiful skin! thank you for sharing this! i'm going through a skin care over-haul as well!

Go here for More info said...

This website is the most excellent website.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...